Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial
The ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial includes:
- ArcGIS 10 for Desktop Student Trial (32-bit only)
- Tutorial Data**
- The following ArcGIS for Desktop extensions:
- ArcGIS 3D Analyst
- ArcGIS Geostatistical Analyst
- ArcGIS Network Analyst
- ArcGIS Publisher
- ArcGIS Schematics
- ArcGIS Spatial Analyst
- ArcGIS Tracking Analyst
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability**
- ArcGIS Data Reviewer**
- ArcGIS Workflow Manager**
Am I eligible?
You are eligible to request a digital download of ArcGIS for Desktop software for students if:
- You are a current student Georgetown University
- Your use of Esri products is for non-commercial, personal research
You are not eligible to request a digital download of ArcGIS for Desktop software for students if:
- You are faculty or staff (click on the Faculty/Staff tab above)
- You are a MedStar Health employee unaffiliated with the School of Medicine
- You are a contractor
How to Request an Authorization Code
Present your Georgetown University identification card at the following locations:
- Lauinger Library Circulation Desk
- Blommer Library Circulation Desk
- School of Continuing Studies Circulation Desk
- SFS-Qatar Library Circulation Desk
If you are unable to visit one of the above locations, contact the Access Services Department from your Georgetown University email address.
ArcGIS Desktop: 10.x
Before you start:
- By requesting a student installation of ArcGIS Desktop, you confirm that you are a current Georgetown University student and that your use of ArcGIS desktop is for non-commercial, educational and research purposes.
- All patrons are responsible for software installation and you do so at your own risk. Georgetown University Library staff will not perform the software installation.
- If you have any other versions of ArcGIS on your computer, they must be uninstalled before installing ArcGIS 10. Please use Esri's uninstallation utility.
- Do not call Esri for software support. Check Esri's support site for documentation and tips.
- ArcGIS for Desktop provided to students is the 32-bit version. Esri does not allow us to make the 64-bit version available to students for use on personal computers.
- Requests to connect to the University's Esri account to download additional software will be denied. Esri does not permit students to download software on our account beyond that provided by the ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial program.
- You must authorize the software and create an Esri Global User Account. Please list Georgetown University (no abbreviations) as your institution. Authorization lasts for 12 months. When the authorization expires, you must request another authorization code from the library.
- Check the system requirements to make sure your computer is compatible with the software. ArcGIS Desktop does not run natively on Macs. Please visit Esri's Mac support page for documentation on how to run ArcGIS Desktop using BootCamp or a virtual machine.
Digital Download Instructions
Before you install ArcGIS Desktop:
- Visit www.esri.com/StudentEdition to begin the process of activating and downloading your ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial software.
- Log in using your existing Esri Global Account.
Please follow the steps below to download and install ArcGIS 10.X for Desktop:
- If you do not currently have an earlier version of ArcGIS installed on your machine, proceed to step 2.
If you have ArcGIS version 10.1 or later installed, you do not need to uninstall it before installing a newer version; the ArcGIS setup package will detect and upgrade your ArcGIS for Desktop software. If you have ArcGIS version 10.0 or earlier installed, please uninstall it using the Uninstall Utility (download below) before installing ArcGIS 10.x.
- Download ArcGIS for Desktop, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, and the other files you would like to install. Please note that ArcGIS Data Interoperability, ArcGIS Data Reviewer, and ArcGIS Workflow Manager require ArcGIS for Desktop.
- When downloading with the Esri Download Manager, you can select and download multiple products. However, only one product should be launched at a time when the downloads are complete.
- Make sure you have write access to your download directory location as well as your ArcGIS installation directory location, and that no one is accessing it.
- Install the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 below.
- Install and authorize ArcGIS for Desktop
- Select a destination folder to extract the install files to. If you choose, you can automatically launch the setup after the files have been extracted.
- When prompted, select ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced Single Use.
- When prompted, accept the default, I do not wish to authorize any extensions at this time. The extensions will be authorized automatically.
- Enter your authorization number.
Did your authorization expire?
Student licenses for ArcGIS for Desktop last 12 months from the date of initial authorization. If your copy of ArcGIS for Desktop has expired, you need to request a new authorization code from the library.